Historically, St. Philip’s Episcopal Church was known as Quantico Chapel and was the Fifth Chapel of Ease to be built as an offshoot from St. Bartholomew’s Church now known as Old Green Hill Church, Stepney Parish. (Old Green Hill is located on the road to Whitehaven, on Maryland Route 352, south of Green Hill Country Club on the banks of the Wicomico River.)
The original church was similar in design to St. Paul’s Old Spring Hill church in Hebron. It was equipped with wood stoves for heat, box pews and a raised pulpit.
In 1914, after seventy years of use, the congregation sought a more modern building and so the old Quantico Chapel was razed and St. Philip’s Episcopal Church as it stands today was constructed in the cruciform design using many timbers from the original building. It was dedicated in 1915, and the current congregation will celebrate its 100th anniversary on May 3, 2015.
St. Philip’s Church, rich in history and tradition, continues to witness to and for the ministry of Jesus Christ in this part of God’s wide Kingdom, true to its call to serve others in Christ’s name since 1845.